Welcome to our web site and the Great White North! The region does its best to plan a years worth of events between May and Sept…since we only have two seasons, winter and road repair. Alaska is very unique in what it has to offer any motor enthusiast and the state has a rich history of motor sports fun dating back to the early 1950′s. We are looking forward to spreading the fun around this year with more drives, Family Fun day, social events and our AutoX season. Yes, we are still slowly inflating the tires to the site and updating pages during pit stops. Please send us your comments and suggestions….they are always welcome!
Mike Holtzclaw, Region Prez, 1/3/13
2013 Porsche Parade, June 23-29, Grand Traverse Resort, Traverse City, MI. Registration for Parade is open now! Click here for link to Parade web site.
5/18/13- UPDATE ABOUT SEWARD ROAD TRIP……due to the road conditions and that most of us have summer tires on, we have postponed the road trip for a few weeks. We will reschedule soon to give you plenty of time to plan. Sorry about the event, but the winter party isn’t over just yet! Be safe…
5/16/13- Update on Saturdays Road Trip to Seward. Winter hasn’t left Alaska just yet…there is a possibility that snow may return this Saturday. In the best interest of safety, it is suggested that those planning on traveling, please do so in a vehicle that you feel can handle ice and snow road conditions safely. Assuming that most of us have changed over to summer tires, it could be alittle squirrely driving. Yeah, first drive of the season, who wouldn’t want to drive their Porsche, but lets be smart and safe about it to drive our Porsche’s another day! That decision is up to you. The road trip will proceed as planned and if conditions really deteriorate, we will make that call at Beluga Point or somewhere else along the way. Jim and Patti McNeff will be at Beluga Point at 9:30 unless the road is impassable due to poor conditions. Please call Jim (242-1911) anytime between 8am and 10am on Sat for any updates. This is all part of living in the Great White North….got to love it!
5/3/13- It’ time to wash the car and kick the tires for our first road trip of the season! It is our regular run to Seward on Saturday, May 18. That is Seward Harbor Open House Weekend! The plan is to meet at Beluga Point around 9:30am, then hit the road around 10am. We will stop along the way at various point to take in the scenery and take a few photo’s, check out the big Ice Cube at Exit Glacier, then on to Ray’s for some food. Things you can do while you are in Seward, check out the Sea Life Center, walk the docks, take a boat tour, and there is always shopping! We will go rain or shine, unless it is raining that would choke a fog! Call the hot line (688-5741) for the latest news just before the road trip or call Jim McNeff @ 242-1911. Lets burn some gas!
4/30/13- We will have our next meeting at Suite 100 Restaurant and Bar on May 9. 7:00 p.m. We will be planning our first drive and covering the first autocross of the season’s attendance and results at the meeting. The address is 1000 E Dimond Blvd. The reservation is under “Porsche Club” We have asked for separate checks, FYI they automatically add a 18% gratuity for groups 8 and up. Call Teri @317-3251 for more details.
4/29/13- Just a reminder PCA has our first autocross of the season this Sunday, May 5 at Bartlett High, Pool side parking lot, this will be held short of a freak snow storm or driving rain (we have added umbrellas to our equipment trailer). Jim & Mike will be out there at dawn setting up the course for the day’s fun. Registration for cars that need to be tech’d and early-birds will start at 8:00. Those cars that have been tech’d and have not made any changes to their car can register at 9:15 but registration will close by 10 a.m.! Our goal is to have the first car on the course just before 11am. $35.00 is still the going fee to participate, and we accept cash (of course!) and local checks. Please note you need a helmet, rated Snell-2005 or better, but we do have some loaners to share if need be. I suggest you bring lunch/snacks to eat throughout the day, since we will not stop for an extended lunch break especially if it is a strong turn-out. We do supply a port a potty for the event, it was the least we could do! Any questions?? Call Mike @ 229-3943 or Teri @ 317-3251
4/3/13- Hey folks, check out what we have been up to!
- Porsche Parade registration is open! We have 10 Alaskan’s going as of today, so you will have lots of friends there plus make new ones with others from around the US!
- I spoke with Dana Applebee at Morrison’s about plans for future meetings and promotions at the dealership, one would be the Cayman launch party May 3 she is working on details for this event and is considering offering free car wash and quick detail of your Porsche while you attend the launch party.
- I spoke with Judy O’Neil with ASD and she verified we have secured all of our dates at Bartlett HS parking lot for our autocrosses, we are holding a joint effort Tech inspection for 2013 on April 26 starting 6:00 p.m. at Continental Motors, bring your helmet and what modifications you may have done to your car to get properly PAX’d. Food and beverages will be available and Sub Zero will be having a membership drive through the event as well. Their first autocross is Sunday April 28 and PCA has theirs on May 5 at Bartlett High.
- We are looking for ideas for summer drives, Seward is always a popular one, We are considering a late April or mid-May date since it depends on the condition of the roads and weather.
- Club members had fun participating in this year’s Rondy Parade, we had quite a few beautiful owner-cars that attended and a few dealer cars as well. Gary Becker who is a manager at Morrison’s drove the Panamera and had loads of fun with his 3 sweet daughters in the car. They sooo had the princess wave down and represented the dealership and Porsche in a great way. The theme this year was “cartoons” so we made big googly eyes and put them on the windshields as we drove through downtown Anchorage. Dana requested copies of some of them to use in a possible promotion, so we may see them in the future somewhere, you never know?
- Aaron Ambrosino, our zone representative is returning to Anchorage for a visit the end of July, we plan on a drive and a few events while he and his very lovely wife Amelia are here to visit, we plan to end their visit with a strong showing of Porsches at the park strip car show this year before they have to fly out that day.
- Jim McNeff has updated the web site, please check it out at www.pcaalaska.org
- Jim and Jamie are working on the timing equipment, trying to get it to update and help simplify the autocross timing for all events, there is a pesky glitch they are trying to get worked out, events will go on as planned we will just do it “old school” as we have been for years until this gets ironed out.
Everyone do their summer-sun happy dance and let’s get over this break-up hump and on to the business of having fun driving our cars in some sunshine this year! Keep the shiny side up!!
Mike Holtzclaw, AK/PCA Prez. 229-3943 Cell
4/1/13- We have our monthly informal get-to-know-club members and freinds breakfast, Saturday, April 20, at 9:00 @ Kriners Diner located mid-town on C Street.. We will be doing this through the winter on the third Saturday of each month at the same location for anyone who wants to pop in and have breakfast in an informal setting. Kriners Diner address is: 2409 C Street and their number is 929-8257.
1/11/13- The region and SZM have discussed tentative dates for the 2013 AutoX season and will be posted in mid-Feb. Dates for the season Annual Tech has not been decided on yet but is part of the plan like last year. PCA will be doing a AutoX-101 fun day early in the season. We will be posting more details for the Rondy Parade just before the Feb meeting. Rondy Parade is Feb 23. Bring on some snow….this is Alaska!
12/26/12- Congratulation to our PCA Autocross Series Campions for 2012!
Porsche Cup………………………. Jamie Benard
06/13/12- This Sat, June 16 we are hosting a PCA Fun Run Day at Bartlett HS parking lot. This is a non-competitive event for those that never have done it before but would like to experience driving their car’s in a Autox setting, but without the pressure of competition. We will be helping you become familiar with the ins and outs of running a AutoX course. The event is free and we will be providing hot dogs/hamburgers , soda and water. Show time is around 10am and we will run cars until 3pm. The course will be simple and easy for all to follow…our goal is to have some fun and put a smile on your face! Call Mike @ 229-3943 or Jim @ 242-1911 for more details.
11/14/11- Check out October 2011 Pano…it has the Parade pictures of our group from Alaska, plus an article of the journey that Jamie and Mike took from Alaska to Georgia, the editing is a bit iffy-the writer points out a “moose” that is questionable….:
6/10/11- Mike, our President, was interviewed by the folks at Speed Channel and will be featured on the show, “Speed Test Drive” The show theme was “Porsche: Performance Every day.” Mike was one of five Porsche owners to be interviewed about their adventures centered around their cars.